Thursday, March 24, 2011

Rainbow Cake

Love Bug was invited to a St Patty's Day party and I volunteered to make a rainbow cake. I ran across THIS
rainbow cake on Martha Stewart's site one day and wanted to make one. I just needed the right occasion. I liked that it was layered and that each layer was a different color- not the usual "drop color" idea where you color the batter and then drop the batter by spoonful into the pan to get a mottled rainbow.

I was making this cake for tots, so I didn't want it to be too large (read: so tall that they'd have to have a big piece and get so sugared up they'd never take their nap), and I was also pressed for time. I used a box mix which was *just* enough to make each layer. When I make it again (and I will :), I'll make it from scratch and the layers will be thicker and easier to work with. These layers were pancake thin.

For the decorations- Skittles were used for the rainbow. They didn't have the pack with blue in it at the store I went to, and I never made it back out shopping to find one.
The cloud is made of extra large marshmallows. I sliced the ends off of three of them.

So there it is!! My rainbow cake.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful cake! I love what you did with the Skittles and the 3D effect of the Marshmallows! I've never tried gel food coloring before, but now I have to try it.

    ReplyDelete